Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fibres West was a Blast!

Yesterday morning I spent the day surrounded by fiber, yarn, quilter, lace makers, weavers, knitters, sewers, and all sorts of crafty people!
It was so wonderful!
I spent around $100 on beautiful alpaca wool, some amazing handspun yarn (see right), and I even bought a drop spindle kit, so that I can learn to make my own yarn! (huzzah!)
The handspun was from a very nice woman, (and her sweet daughter) and her Etsy shop is the Knitters Nook and you should definitely check her out!

I bought some Baby Alpaca yarn, spun in Peru, and it is sooooo soft! It's from Mirasol, and money from the yarn sold, goes to the funding of a school in the region of Puno.


There were some beautiful llamas there, from the Langley 4H club as well, so perhaps I will look into buying some llama fiber in the near future.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the drop spindle, and so far it seems to be going pretty well. The Kit I bought was from Nancy's Knit Nacks. The DVD that comes with it may not be professionally made, but the instructions are easy to follow, and understand.

I watched through the video once before trying, so I would be familiar with everything before trying to spin myself, and I found doing this was very useful.

All in all, the morning spent at the fibres fest was wonderful and fun! I hope they run it again next year, as I will definitely go again.

And now, back to spinning :D

No comments:

Post a Comment