Monday, March 16, 2009

Handspun Yarn and Fibreswest

When I was a little girl, my parents were friend with an older couple. The wife was a very talented artist, who painted, knit, crochet and, hand spun yarn.
I remember she taught me a little of it with a drop spindle and how fun it was.
Today while I was browsing the web, looking at all the fabulous hand spun wools and yarns out there, I could not believe how expensive they can be sold for!
$25 for an amount of yarn, that, if it were machine made, would sell for maybe $5.
So, I decided, maybe I should try learning how to make my own yarn!
I am not about to drop $400-$600 on a spinning wheel, mind you, so I will try to make my own drop spindle, and try spinning some that way.
I do believe the Langley Weavers and Spinners Guild has some educational classes every once in a while, so maybe I'll see if I can attend one to learn more.

While I was doing research about hand spinning, I learned about Fibreswest, which is an Expo out in Abbotsford, BC, for knitting, crocheting, weaving, etc, etc.
It's next weekend, but if I can make it, I definitely want to go check it out. It looks like it should have lots of interesting things going on - and best part is, payday is the 20th so I'll actually have some money to spend! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment