Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tablet Weaving

A few of my friends are members of the SCA, and one of them, Ashley, learned how to do tablet weaving from it. Since I wanted to learn myself, and I rarely see her long enough for her to give me a lesson, I decided to try and find some good tutorials on the internet.

Tablet, or card, weaving, is a very...ah...complicated form of weaving, and before I ever attended an SCA event, I didn't even know it existed. I got to watch Ashley doing some of her tablet weaving when we went to a heavy fighting practice one time, several months ago, and it fascinated me.
As far as I have been able to tell, the idea is that the cards that are attached to the strings, get rotated each time the string gets woven through. Either all get rotated forward, all go back, or some go back and some go forward...
As I said, it's complicated.
Which may be why I haven't seriously tried finding a good tutorial beforehand. I like the ease and simplicity of crochet compared to how complicated tablet weaving seems.
However, spinning isn't simple either, and I find that very meditative. So, perhaps I'll be able to successfully manage tablet weaving as well.

Anyways, here are a few of the tutorials and resources I found that could be useful to others:
I'm possibly going to order a copy of Card Weaving as well, since I don't always like to sit in front of the computer to follow instructions - and it might be a bit difficult if I'm try to weave and sit in front of a computer at the same time.

Hopefully it all will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment